February 15, 2012

In the Hands of a Few


A nearby little town held their school board meeting last night.  On the agenda was whether they are going to renew the contract for next year of the elementary principal.

Parents in the town are upset and determined to have a voice.  They have ascended upon the meeting. 
According to one mother, "I just want to have the information for myself, show me the evidence.  I can make up my own mind.  I like this principal, she is the best." 

Later in the evening it was revealed that the superintendent feels the principal did not turn in some paperwork on time last year.  When he asked to see some of it, she was unable to produce it.  Her story is that she did the paperwork as necessary and turned it in to the state as required.  The state has not returned it to her.  

I do not know if the paperwork was done or not.  Frankly, I don't care.  Is that a reason to fire someone?  Especially if that person has a good track record and is well liked in the community?  It  sounds more like a power struggle or a jealousy problem to me. 

This is one thing that irks me in the education field right now.  One person or a few people hold the career of good teachers and administrators in their hands.  If she does get terminated, she will have to move if she wants to stay in her field.  She will also have to have this clouding up any future employment application.  They all ask-- have you ever been asked to leave or not had your contract renewed?   That right there may keep her out of a possible job.  It may close the door. 

 Now this Superintendent could be doing this out of spite, weakness, or malice. 

I don't know how the meeting ended.  I just know that there is a lot of bull --oney  that goes on in the education field right now. 

Let the teachers teach!    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and appreciate you taking the time to write one. Thanks for stopping by!