February 15, 2010

Cognitive Coaching


Last fall I began some professional development in Cognitive Coaching and this weekend was the last days of our time together.   Cognitive Coaching is intended for helping mediate people's thinking.  We learned ways to communicate in order to help people plan, reflect, and problem resolve.  
While the cognitive coaching is to help others--I am the one who learns the most about myself and my communication skills.   I have had practice in learning when to ask the right questions and when to sit and be quiet.   
The hardest part of cognitive coaching is giving up the desire to give advice, relate with my own stories, and solve problems.  I have to remember that I am there to assist someone in their own thinking.   

The additional benefit of this course was meeting other educators in my district that I do not see often.    It is sad that often times the only people we ever get to know are the people in our own school.  We have some wonderful dedicated people in our district!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and appreciate you taking the time to write one. Thanks for stopping by!