February 28, 2010

No! No! I won't Go

Usually I am a pretty positive person.  I tend to look for the silver linings.  Nobody wants to be around a Debby Downer.  But lately, I have been feeling pretty negative by some of the stupid decisions made around here. 

Take for instance this....

On Thursday, tucked away in our weekly memo from administration, was the notice that next Tuesday is McTeacher night.  This is fundraiser that McDonald's hosts for local schools.  It is a win-win situation for them.  Neighborhood schools promote a night out at McDonald's, customers tell the server what school they want to support, and McDonald's gives a percentage of the receipts to the schools.

The memo went on to say that each grade level should organize a schedule to cover the 4pm - 8pm evening.  Teachers are expected to meet, greet, and wipe tables off.  Oh yeah--they can also spend their money eat.

This is my frustration:
  1. It is Thursday and I am expected to do this on Tuesday.  Anyone ever hear of notice?  My calendar fills up pretty quickly and I already have a full evening on Tuesday. 
  2. How is it fair that one grade-level might have 3 sections while another has 4 --not to mention student teachers. 
  3. What other profession requires you to work all day and then spend hours being available to wipe tables without compensation. 
I guess I'd rather be asked to volunteer than to be told to do it.  You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.  Not that I am comparing teachers to flies.  Well, I am not going to be there.  I already have an  evening full of a meeting (a district one, no less) and book club until 8:45.  Of course, I don't want to put extra work on my colleagues, but I don't think they are able to go either.  Oops!  I guess our grade level won't be represented.  Bow I wonder what backlash we will face, 'cause you know we will.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and appreciate you taking the time to write one. Thanks for stopping by!