March 8, 2010

Interviewed and waiting. Sort of.

I put my name on the transfer list in January.  Names need to be there before February 1 if you want to have an opportunity to change schools.  Last time I put my name on the list, I was never even called for an interview.   That year, I also applied for 2 positions that were not classroom teachers.   I interviewed for both of them and did not get hired for either one.  Next in line is what the both interviewers told me-- I was good, but there was another with more experience, or more something.  I was a little disappointed, but figured that I could apply again the next year.  In fact, the interviewers encouraged me to do so as both departments had plans to expand the following year.   Now, a few years later, both of those departments have downsized.  One to only a couple positions and one no longer exists.  I guess it was a good thing I didn't get picked for the jobs! 

But once again, I am on the list and last week I had an interview at the middle school.   I really don't like interviewing.  I feel like I have to sell myself and I don't like doing that.  At my school now, and even throughout the school system at my grade level--people know me and know what I am capable of doing and what I am involved in.    But interviewing for a different level means talking to someone who probably has no idea what a wonderful, hard-working person I am.    I get a bit tongue tied.  Since the interview, I have gone over it a thousand times in my head and I kick myself for saying one thing or not saying another.   Hopefully I went over well enough.   

The principal alluded that a position may be open in a few weeks.   A friend of mine ( who also interviewed there) told me that the principal told her some teachers were making the decision to either stay and change their certifications or move on to another school.  So the positions wont be available until they make the decsion to move on.  With the climate the way it is, I doubt there are many jobs available at other schools  so the chance that this interview is even serious is pretty low.  But who knows!    Another strike is that the principal is retiring this year.  So even if I am liked, it will be someone else there next year who doesn't know me and I'd be in the same boat as this year. 

So the boat has been rocked because my current principal knows that I am interested in leaving and the chances a job opens up are pretty slim.  Looks like it will be one of thse difficult years again next year.  Too bad that education is full of politics ( what job isn't?) instead of just educating children. 

I also have another iron in the fire-- I applied earlier this year to do coursework for ELL certification.  A grant is available to do these courses at no charge.  I was supposed to have heard by the end of February, but havent heard anything yet.  So I emailed the person in charge today and they responded that the decisions hadn't been made yet.  

So my options for next year are:
1. to stay where I am and do what I am doing
2. to stay where I am and study for ELL
3. to change schools
4. to change schools and study for ELL

I wonder which it will be. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and appreciate you taking the time to write one. Thanks for stopping by!