January 26, 2010

Losing my Kids

I have had 5 Korean children in my class this year.  Two of them are recent arrivals -- what I fondly call "right off the boat."   All of their fathers are visiting scholars at the state university and they come in January/February to stay for 1 year. 

So I will be losing 3 of my kids by February 1 as they travel back to their home country.  As I have really only known these children well since late August, you would think that it would not be a difficult thing to have them move.  You would be wrong.  These kids have wriggled themselves deep into my heart and my heart breaks to see them leave knowing that I will most likely never see the again.

One of my students left at Christmas break.  It was difficult to say our goodbye's, but it was also a busy time of year and everyone, me included, were looking forward to a break. 

My 2nd student left last week.  This was my little girl with the pink glasses. She was torn about leaving.  She looked forward to going home to her grandparents, friends, and home.  And yet, she was sad to leave her friends here.   I became emotional as I thought about her leaving.  At home, I would think about it and tears would come.  She left last Friday and I after all the kids left I did cry.  She will be missed.

My 3rd student is leaving this week.  She is smart cookie and has been so much help with the two new girls who speak so little English.  I have known her family the entire year they have been in America and it pains me to see them go.  I know that I will shed more tears when she leaves us.

These kids are wonderful students.  I don't know if it is the Asian culture that makes them so wonderful as a student.  They value education.  They are extremely respectful and always do their work with great effort.  They are neat and organized in their work.  They are impecable.   One of the specials teacher who works with my class jokingly asked me why we couldnt send a couple of the other kids away and keep these ones.  I say jokingly, but it is a thought I have had as well.   Sometimes I wish that our American students showed similar diligence and effort int ehir schoolwork and attitudes.

This is the first year I have had ELL students who return home mid-year.  That could be why it is so tough on me.  I may get used to it.  But for now, my heart is heavy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and appreciate you taking the time to write one. Thanks for stopping by!